11 Jun Watermelon Diet 101- Your Quick Guide
Let’s face it- with tons of fad diets making rounds, it can be a bit difficult to distinguish between diet plans that actually work (and are healthy for you) and the ones that are not. And which category does the new ‘watermelon diet’ fall under? Time to find out!
The Watermelon Diet- How Does it Work?
The watermelon diet plan works on the basic strategy of including more and more of the fruit into your diet. While it is not really an official weight loss diet, it can turn out to be a good supplemental weight loss strategy, which when combined with your other weight loss efforts, can help you hit your ultimate goal faster.
Unlike other fad diets, the watermelon diet for weight loss actually works, and for several reasons.
- Watermelon is basically 92% water and really low in calories, which makes it a perfect food choice if you’re looking to lose weight.
- It also packs in a decent amount of fiber in every serving, which also stimulates the release of toxins from the body, and boosts your attempts to get in shape.
- Consuming more of it can help you ‘feel full’ which in turn, keeps you from indulging in food, especially the high calorie ones.
- Packed with natural sugars, watermelon can also help banish those nasty sweet cravings minus the guilt.
- With a lot of chewing and swallowing involved, the act of consuming watermelon tricks the brain into thinking that you’ve had ‘a lot’ and therefore, again, keep you from overeating.
Hit or Miss?
Now that the basics are covered, it’s time to come back to the real question- is the watermelon diet plan worth the time and effort?
Well it turns out, yes! Watermelon can be a great food option to have more of while you’re on a weight loss diet, but under certain restrictions. Fad diets, or diets that need you to consume more of just a single food for a number of days are generally not effective in the long run, and often also have negative impacts on the health. Here’s how you could actually start with the healthier version of a watermelon diet.
- Include more of watermelon into your daily meals- when craving for a snack maybe or something sweet.
- Replacing your fruit juices for watermelon slices or even watermelon juice (without any added sugar) could be a great idea.
- Skip dessert and have watermelon chunks instead. Season with a bit of pepper powder or a squeeze of lemon for a different taste!
It is also important to always have a doctor’s opinion before you start with any specific diet plan, particularly if you’re affected by any health concern or are on certain medications.