Understanding Why Shaving With Coconut Oil Works
From acting as a super natural moisturizer to reducing inflammation and redness of the skin, coconut oil does a lot, and guess what? You can actually also start shaving with coconut oil- that’s how versatile it is! Keep reading to discover the best benefits of shaving with coconut oil, and some quick and easy recipes to get started on.
Benefits of Shaving with Coconut Oil
Whether you’re shaving your legs or getting a clean shaved face- coconut oil might just do the trick for you!
- Think of this wonder oil as a shaving cream and after shave conditioner all rolled up into one! It is solid unless heated, but once it comes in contact with the skin, it melts and spreads effortlessly.
- Unlike other shaving creams, you won’t have to use loads and loads of it to get a good shave- a teaspoon/tablespoon amount should work just fine depending upon the area of body you’re shaving.
- If you’ve got sensitive and extremely dry skin that tends to break out after a shaving session, or gets excessively rough and dry, coconut oil could be the perfect solution! Using it as a shaving cream can give your skin an intense dose of moisturization and a promise of silky smooth skin!
- While dry shaving can take a toll on your skin, sneaking in coconut oil as an after shave lotion can work wonders, and calm and soothe inflamed and irritated skin wonderfully!
- One of the best benefits of shaving with coconut oil is the fact that it’s perfect for you if you’re practicing frugal living- so go ahead and ditch those fancy shaving creams and go old school.
Quick Recipes to Get Started
And now it’s time for some quick and easy recipes to using coconut oil for shaving- whip them up on a weekend and you’re sorted!
Recipe #1: Coconut Oil Shaving Cream
Replace that expensive shaving cream for this quick natural shaving cream recipe- you’ll love it!
- 10 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 10 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- 3-5 drops of your favorite essential oil
Melt the coconut oil and allow it to cool down enough before mixing it together with all the remaining ingredients. Pour this mixture into a container and store it in a cool, dark place.
Recipe #2: Coconut Oil After Shave
If you’re into dry shaving, there’s nothing better than sneaking in a little coconut oil as an after shave lotion/cream.
You will need:
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 10 tablespoons of rosewater
- 2-3 drops of vanilla/lavender essential oil
Simply combine all in the ingredients together in a spray bottle and you’re done! Make sure you shake it well every time before use.7+ benefits of using #coconutoil as a shaving cream + simple #DIY recipes! via @BeautyJOnlineClick To Tweet
Tips for Shaving with Coconut Oil
Once you’ve got your natural shaving cream/after shave ready, here’s what you need to remember before you get started with it all.
- Avoid gliding the razor multiple times on the same area- especially if you have skin that is more prone to breakouts and bumps post a shaving session.
- Always use a fresh new razor, and go against the direction of hair growth in one smooth glide.
- Always shave towards the end of your bath- coming in contact with water tends to soften the skin, which will help you get a closer shave.
- After shaving, rinse the region with cool water and then pat dry. Do not rub the towel on the skin- the rubbing may only irritate it and trigger those red bumps to come up.
- Use a healing after shave lotion immediately after a shaving session.