From getting your hands on literally every expensive cream and lotion that come up in the market, to scrubbing, washing and moisturizing- you’ve probably tried your hands at everything you could- all so that you could reduce the appearance of your acne scars. But is it really working?
You may have heard that using lemon juice for acne scars could be a good alternative, but is it really what it claims to be? Get your answers to that and much more right here!
Lemon Juice for Acne Scars
If you haven’t tried it already, using lemon juice on your sensitive scarred skin may feel a bit concerning, considering that lemon is actually quite harsh and acidic. However, it has been found that lemon juice is one of the best natural remedies to lighten the skin, which is why, it could be your best natural (and cheapest) anti-scar treatment.
Obviously, there’s a catch involved- lemon juice should never ever be used on broken, irritated and inflamed skin, and skin that is already affected by acne. You can use it to reduce the appearance of scars left by acne, not acne itself.
How Does it Work?
Lemon juice is a rich natural source of active substances such as vitamin C, limonene, naringen, quercetin and alpha hydroxyl acids- all of which are known to play a major role in improving skin health.
A recent study has already demonstrated the efficiency of citrus extracts in reducing the appearance of acne scars, which adds value to the belief of lemon juice for acne scars.
It is also believed that lemon juice extracts help improve cell growth in the region where they are applied and also restore the collagen buildup in the area, thereby encouraging new, lighter cells to come up and the old, dead and dark skin cells to be brushed off.
The vitamin C, E, and A content of lemon juice is what makes it an excellent healing agent, which helps reduce any inflammation around the region, and also possibly prevents new acne outbreaks.
Other Benefits of Lemon Juice
Apart from being a good skin lightening agent, lemon juice also has many other benefits when used for the skin.
- Natural bleach- simply rubbing lemon halves on your knees and elbows can reduce darkness and brighten them naturally.
- Blackhead remover- lemon juice can also reduce the appearance of blackheads and whiteheads.
- Acne prevention- the natural antibacterial properties of lemon juice also help reduce the risk of acne outbreaks and skin infections as well.
- Oil control- lemon juice and extracts help control oiliness and stickiness of the face.
- Cleansing action- when mixed with a base essential oil, lemon juice can also help naturally cleanse the skin.
3 Ways to Use Lemon Juice for Acne Scars
You can choose to use lemon juice alone or in combination with other components to reduce acne scars.
- Dip a Q-tip in some fresh lemon juice and dab it onto the acne scar, and allow it to stay for sometime- around 30 minutes. Do this twice a day, and you should see lightening in a few days.
- Mix some lemon juice with honey, and apply it onto the face, and let this pack stay for 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water and pat dry. Use this natural pack thrice a week for speedy results.
- Got sensitive skin? Try mixing some lemon juice with yogurt, and apply it to the face for a few minutes. This natural face pack will keep the skin moisturized and will also reduce the appearance of dark acne scars.
Did you try using lemon juice for acne scars? Did it help? Let us know in the comments box below.