Constipation is probably one of the most common bowel problems today, and while it may not seem like a lot, being constipation can actually affect your entire day. Picture this- you’re at your workplace, have an urgent file to be submitted, and your stomach feels all cramped and bloated. You’re struggling with the urge to visit the toilet, and not to! Being constipated can really get on your nerves, and in contrast, having a healthy functioning gastrointestinal system can push you towards a productive, happy day.
While there are many home remedies out there, using prune juice for constipation has many benefits. Check out the top 5 reasons why you should grab it on your next trip to the supermarket!
Top 5 Reasons to Use Prune Juice for Constipation
Prune juice is well known for its health benefits, but a lot of people don’t know about its laxative action. Here are 5 reasons why prune juice could be your next favorite home remedy for constipation!
- Prune juice is a rich source of dihydrophenylisatin- a substance that has laxative action. The consumption of this juice stimulates the release of waste from the bowels by aiding muscle contractions that result in its expulsion.
- In addition, prune juice also contains sugars like fructose, sucrose and sorbitol, which helps draw water into the intestines, thereby softening the stool and making it easy to pass.
- Many research studies have shown that prune juice can increase the amount of water in the stools, which in turn, helps easy passage of stools and aids muscle contractions as well.
- Prune juice is also packed with a good amount of fiber, which adds bulk to the stools and helps it pass out through the intestines easily and without a lot of effort.
- Both fresh and dried prunes are so effective in treating constipation, that they can also be used as a first line treatment for the condition. When used correctly, they can relieve chronic constipation as well without any side effects or health risks associated with their consumption.
Now that you know how prune juice could make for an excellent home remedy for constipation, it’s time to check out how to use it in the first place! Here are some quick tips to implement the next time you feel constipated.
- Combine equal parts of prune juice and apple juice, and drink 1-2 glasses of this mixture everyday for a couple of days- you should start seeing results from the very first day itself.
- Don’t have apple juice? Replace it with oat milk- it makes for an excellent gastrointestinal tonic as well.
- Having prune juice by itself is a good way to get rid of constipation as well, but make sure you don’t overdo it. Limit your consumption to just 2 glasses a day, preferably lower. If you’re affected by chronic constipation, you could consider having more, but only after your physician’s advice.
- Prunes are an excellent powerhouse of many nutrients and minerals which help boost digestion and avoid mineral deficiencies- adding it to your diet can actually help prevent constipation by keeping the digestive system healthy.
- Many studies have found that prunes and prune juice are a rich source of iron, making it a great natural remedy for anaemia. They also contain boron, which helps boost muscle and bone health.
- Regular consumption of prunes can help suppress appetite, thereby promoting weight loss as well.
Always make sure you seek medical advice before you start taking prune juice or try any home remedy to tackle constipation, especially if you have an existing medical condition.
Did you try using prune juice yourself? Did it work for you too? Share with us in the comment box below.