Summer is here and fresh fruit juices are the way to go to keep yourself hydrated! So don’t be surprised if you find yourself craving for watermelon, pineapple and other fruit juices in the middle of the day- go ahead and whip ‘em up because they’re healthy too!
Now pineapple juice may seem like a refreshing drink when temperatures go up, but turns out, there’s a lot more to it than just that. For several decades, humans have been using pineapple juice for cough and its nasty symptoms. Let’s take a closer look at how (and why) you should be trying it the next time you’re hit by seasonal cough.
Using Pineapple Juice for Cough
In the recent years, Indian scientists have found that a mixture of pineapple juice, honey, salt and pepper can be much more effective at dealing with cough as opposed to OTC medications and cough syrups that are usually prescribed. And by ‘much more’ they mean a whopping 500% more!
Infact, another study has found that the use of this mixture can also be helpful in dissolving the mucus in patients affected by tuberculosis.
DIY Pineapple Juice Cough Syrup
Into DIY home remedies? This pineapple juice remedy is just what you need to try to tackle cough.
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup of fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 piece of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of raw, organic honey
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
Just combine all of these together in a blender, blend for a minute or two, and viola- you’re done!
Other Benefits of Using Pineapple Juice for Cough
Apart from doing the obvious, pineapple juice also provides a ton of other added benefits associated with its consumption.
- The juice can prove to be an excellent natural source of vitamin C, vitamin A, manganese and magnesium- vitamins and minerals that are essential for the body.
- It also contains a powerful enzyme known as bromelain which stimulates the breakdown of proteins and reduces inflammation in the body.
- The vitamin C content of pineapple (and pineapple juice) is what makes it an excellent natural immune booster.
- Pineapple also packs in a ton of other traces minerals required by the body- copper, calcium, beta carotene, folate, potassium, B6 and thiamine.