04 Aug Feeling Dizzy After Eating? Here’s 5 Quick Approaches to Tackle It
7 Simple Tips to Try When You Feel Dizzy After Eating
Do you always feel light-headed after your meals? Ideally, a meal should be providing your body more energy, so why do you feel dizzy after eating? Time to find out and discover the 7 best ways to deal with it.
Causes of Dizziness After Eating
Dizziness after eating, also commonly known as postprandial hypotension, is more common among the elderly. This usually happens because when you eat, the digestive, circulatory and nervous systems work extra hard to process the food and break it down. Your heart has to beat faster than it usually does, and the blood pressure usually falls, causing light-headedness. In some cases, it can also lead to falling, chest pain, vision disturbances and mini strokes!
While there’s no actual cure for postprandial hypotension, taking these steps could help you handle it better.
Simple Steps to Handle Dizziness After Eating
Taking a few simple steps can help you effectively tackle dizziness after eating.
- Avoid skipping meals- it tends to cause a drop in blood pressure which can in turn, cause dizziness and headaches.
- Avoid having 3 solid meals a day and break it down into smaller chunks instead. Smaller meals spread through the day help lessen the burden on the different systems on your body, reducing the risk of dizziness.
- Eat more whole grains- they are more easily digested by the intestines and thereby reduce the risk of blood pressure drops.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables– they give the body a good dose of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals which help strengthen the organ systems.
- Stay hydrated- having enough water can help prevent dizziness post meals.
- Drink herbal tea- particularly ginger tea- it has natural calming properties which helps prevent dizziness post meal consumption.
- Avoid overexerting yourself- engaging in strenuous activities right after eating can significantly raise the risk of dizziness and fainting.
Following these simple steps can significantly help you feel better and energetic even post meal consumption. If your problem still persists, seek medical opinion to understand the exact cause.