29 Dec Everything You Need to Know About Lemon and Water Diet
Look up ‘detox diets’ on Google, and you’ll be overwhelmed at the amount of information you have- right at your fingertips. A quick read through the first few results can get you in the right frame of mind, or, in most cases, leave you even more confused than you were before.
Let’s face it- with numerous fad diets that ‘claim to work,’ it can be difficult to distinguish between actual detox diets and the ones that are out there just for the sake of it!
If you too, have looked up detox diets, chances are, you may have come across the warm water-lemon diet option as well. So what is it all about? Is it actually effective? Does it have any side effects? We’ve answered that and much much more here. Keep reading…
Lemon and Water Diet- Does it Really Work?
Starting the day with a glass of warm water and some lemon juice is believed to help flush out toxins from the body, speed up weight loss and offer many other health benefits. But how does it all really work, and to what extent?
Well, for starters, lemon juice and warm water makes for a killer combination of a morning drink. Warm water speeds up metabolism and hydrates your body, while lemon boosts the flavor of your ‘drink’ without adding up on the calories. In addition, lemon works as an excellent source of many valuable vitamins and minerals that are needed by the body.
The Benefits of Lemon and Water Diet
For centuries, lemon has been used for numerous medicinal purposes. Lemons also possess extraordinary immune boosting, antiviral and antibacterial properties, which makes it a must have in your daily diet.
A mixture of warm water and lemon juice, taken everyday, has many benefits.
- The drink cleanses your system naturally- it acts as a diuretic- increasing the production of urine in the body, and thereby flushing out all the waste from your body. The citric acid present in lemons helps stimulate the liver, which further aids detoxification.
- This drink also aids digestion and prevents health conditions such as heartburn, indigestion, bloating etc. Lemons are rich in vitamins and minerals that stimulate the release of toxins from the digestive tract, while warm water softens the stools and makes their passage easy, thereby preventing constipation. Warm lemon water also encourages the liver to produce bile, which enhances digestion.
- Regular consumption of lemon water also improves the skin tone dramatically- the vitamin C content of lemon makes for a powerful antioxidant which fight free radical damage and reduce the visible signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles. Infact, you could also apply lemon juice directly on your acne scars or age spots to lighten them naturally. Lemon water purges the toxins from your body, which rejuvenates your skin and gives it that natural, healthy glow.
- Lemon water, consumed everyday, can also strengthen your body and protect it from seasonal diseases like cold and flu. Lemons are blessed with immune boosting components, and also contain potassium, which enhance brain and nerve function. The ascorbic acid present in lemon act as powerful anti-inflammatory agents, which can be particularly helpful if you’re affected by asthma or other respiratory system disorders.
- Lemon water also acts as a natural alkalizing agent- regular consumption can reduce the acidity of the body, keep the pH levels in check, and also reduce uric acid formation in the joints, which is known to be responsible for pain and inflammation.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Time for another addition to your #detoxdiet- lemon & water! ” quote=”Time for another addition to your #detoxdiet- lemon & water! via @BeautyJOnline”]
- This drink is probably the most easiest refreshing drink you can start your day with. It instantly energizes you (thanks to the scent of lemon which has these properties) and also prevent anxiety and depression.
- The ascorbic acid present in lemon promotes healing- it is known to play a vital role in maintaining healthy bones and cartilage, and in addition, it also enhances overall immune system function.
- Unlike other healthy drinks, you don’t need to bother about having a bad breath if you’re drinking lemon water. Lemon acts as a natural breath freshener, and can also ease tooth pain and prevent gingivitis. Just make sure you wait for sometime after you brush your teeth, and then consume lemon water as it can erode your enamel. Also avoid consuming anything for atleast 30 minutes after you take this drink.
- Probably the best benefit of sticking to the lemon and water diet is effective weight loss! Lemon is a rich source of pectin fiber which fights hunger and cravings. It has also been found that higher alkalinity in the body can speed up weight loss naturally, which is exactly what happens when you take a glass of lemon water.
Tips and Tricks to Make it Work for You!
Making lemon water is extremely easy- just heat some water until it is slightly warm, and squeeze the juice a lemon into it- done! You could also add a teaspoon of honey to it to give it a great taste! Alternatively, a dash of powdered cayenne pepper or a teaspoon of maple syrup can also be added to this drink.
Make sure you always remove the lemon zest before you squeeze the juice out of it- this zest can be preserved and used in pastas, cakes, breads and more!
The lemon and water diet is so popular that there are detox diets planned all around it- and tons of people have experienced its benefits. Before you start on any form of diet, make sure you have your doctor’s okay.
So do give it a try and enjoy its benefits. Did it work out for you? Do let us know in the comments box below!