10 Sep Coconut Oil Detox: Does it Really Work?
Understanding Coconut Oil Detox & How it Works!
You may have heard a lot about detox diets and how they work wonders for your overall health- right from improving your skin tone to boosting your immunity and making you feel more active, energetic and healthier in general, but what’s the big deal about coconut oil detox? In most detox diets, you may have come across the ritual of including more of natural foods and green tea, and skipping out on sugar and fats completely, but in contrast, the coconut oil detox may seem like a crazy fad diet that may have more health issues as compared to the benefits, but don’t make up your mind so quickly! Give this a quick read to discover why coconut oil detox may possibly be the best detox diet you ever implemented!
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Before getting into the actual detox process, let’s take a closer look at some of the other health benefits that will assure you that coconut oil detox is something that you should definitely try!
- Coconut oil is an amazing source of powerful antioxidants and can help protect the body from the action of free radicals, thereby boosting overall health.
- It is also an excellent source of energy and is composed of medium chain fatty acids, which gets sent directly to the liver instead of being stored in the body, thus making it an ideal fat to be taken for individuals who are hoping to lose weight.
- It has also been found to improve metabolism and boost energy levels and improve the body’s natural mechanism associated with repair and growth.
- One of the best benefits of coconut oil is that it neutralizes the harmful effects of toxin buildup in the body, thereby acting as a wonderful natural detoxifying agent.
- It has many benefits for the digestive system too, and can help target digestive problems such as irritable bowel syndrome.
- When ingested or applied topically, it can also help target and reduce the growth and occurrence of fungal and bacterial infections owing to its powerful and natural anti-fungal and bactericidal action.
Coconut Oil Detox: How Does it Work?
Coconut oil detox programs work in different ways depending upon how intensely you take it. Usually, it lasts around 7 days, and needs you to completely avoid any food products except for coconut oil and water. Sometimes, fresh coconut meat can also be consumed in addition to the coconut oil. This detox diet is one of those extreme fat diets that do work, but need a lot of willpower for an individual to go through with.
If you’re not sure about how you would be able to follow this extreme detox diet, you can start by slowly consuming organic coconut oil everyday. Start off in small amounts and then slowly increase the amount you take.
Some people do experience some undesirable after effects with the consumption of coconut oil- headache, dizziness, joint stiffness, foggy thinking etc, but these symptoms usually last for no more than 3-5 days. These effects are merely the body detoxifying itself.
It is important to consume more of water while you’re on a coconut oil detox, since water tends to facilitate the cleansing benefits, and nourishes the body. Make sure you do not consume sugar while you’re on the cleanse.
Coconut Oil Detox: Quick Tips & Tricks
If you’re one of those who can’t tolerate swallowing coconut oil directly, you can mix it in a glass of water with lemon juice, or take it with some plain organic yogurt.
Another great idea is to swap all your cooking oil with coconut oil.
After you’re done with the coconut oil detox, make sure you avoid consuming meat, fried foods and sugary foods right after atleast for a few days, allow your digestive system to stay off stress. Stick to fresh fruits, but avoid citrus fruits.