Choosing the Best Essential Oils for Sinus Congestion and Cough
Need help choosing the best essential oils for sinus congestion and cough? Keep reading to know more!
In the recent years, essential oils are being used as a natural treatment for several minor to moderate health concerns right from common cold and cough to skin infections. If sinus congestion affects you more frequently than you’d like, essential oils could help. Keep reading to discover the best of the best essential oils you could use to clear the nasal passages and breathe better.
Top Essential Oils for Sinus Congestion and Cough
While there are several other essential oils that help clear the mucus and reduce inflammation, thereby relieving sinus congestion, these are the ones that work the best.
Eucalyptus oil has a unique scent that has the ability to calm your nerves and relieve congestion, clogged nose and other respiratory issues. Its antifungal, antiseptic, antibacterial, antispasmodic and analgesic properties helps stimulate the expulsion of phlegm which opens up a stuffy nose and improves breathing.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is well known for its antimicrobial action, and has the power to help curb throat irritation, soreness and even relieve cough and congestion which makes it one of the best essential oils for sinus congestion and cough.
Peppermint oil is probably the most versatile essential oil there is, and surprise surprise- it works wonders for sinus congestion and cough as well.
Lavender oil is known for its calming and relaxing properties, but most people don’t know that it also possesses the ability to clear a stuffy nose and provide relief from congestion.
Oregano is one of the strong essential oils, but it tends to soothe irritated muscle linings and stimulate the expulsion of phlegm, thereby reducing congestion.
Lemon oil has a refreshing aroma and possesses anti-inflammatory and antiseptic action, which works wonders and helps strengthen the body against different disease causing agents, and also relieves congestion.
Thyme oil is known for its ability to fight common cold and cough, which makes it another excellent choice to go for if you’re looking for essential oils for sinus congestion and cough.
How to Use Essential Oils for Sinus Congestion and Cough
Using essential oils for sinus congestion and cough is pretty easy, and you’ve got a lot of ways to put them to use, depending on your preferences.
- Topical application of the essential oil (diluted with a carrier oil) is a great way to put it to use. You can simply apply the oil directly to your nose and chest to improve breathing and reduce congestion.
- You could use a mixture of the essential oil and carrier oil as a massage oil as well, and use it before sleeping. Blockage of the air passage can often interfere with breathing and cause sleep problems.
- Another effective way to use essential oils for sinus congestion is to add a few drops of any of the above oils into an aromatherapy diffuser (you can pick one up using the quick links given below) and that’s pretty much it. The diffuser will help the molecules of the essential oil disperse into the atmosphere, which will then work and help clear up nasal congestion.
- Adding a couple of drops of any of these essential oils to the bath water is also a good way to help stimulate the expulsion of phlegm, if any, and clear up the sinuses.
- If you don’t have a diffuser, you could bring a pot of water upto a boil and then add a couple of drops of the essential oil to it and then inhale the steam. This is one of the best ways to get near instant relief from sinus congestion.
Following these quick tips and tricks can be of a huge help. Get your essentials using the quick links below, get started on them, and you’re pretty much sorted.