28 Sep 10 Ways Mint Benefits Weight Loss
From essential oils to herbal teas, mint has made its way into our homes pretty quickly. For centuries, it has been used as a natural remedy for several health issues, particularly those pertaining to the skin and the digestive system. In the recent years too, it has gained a lot of popularity, and now, it has been also discovered that mint benefits weight loss.
If you’re someone who is actively trying to lose weight, and can do with a little extra help, give this a quick read, because mint might just be the perfect thing for you. Here’s how mint benefits weight loss, and how you can use it and explore its additional health effects too.
How Mint Benefits Weight Loss
When it comes to weight loss in particular, mint works in several ways.
- Mint extracts, when consumed in the form of a tea, tends to be an excellent refreshing drink that is surprisingly low in calories- just around 2 calories for an 8 ounce serving as opposed to other drinks which pack in a lot of calories per serving.
- When taken in combination with green tea, it can work faster and more effectively in helping you shed those extra pounds. This is because the catechins and caffeine in green tea work together with the metabolism boosting properties of mint to cleanse your body internally and rid it of the toxin accumulations, and then speed up the process of fat burning.
It has also been found that mint extracts stimulate the production of digestive enzymes which tends to help strengthen the entire system. Moreover, a healthy digestive system has been found to be the best indicator for an excellent working immune system. All in all, the powerful medicinal properties that it contains is actually how mint benefits weight loss.
How to Use Mint for Weight Loss
There are several ways you can put mint to use for weight loss.
- One of the simplest ways to include mint in your everyday meals is to consume mint tea. Not only is it low in calories and boosts metabolism, but its aroma has been found to help suppress appetite as well, which can be particularly helpful for individuals who tend to binge eat. In addition, it reduces bloating as well.
- If you’re not really fond of mint tea, whipping up a quick glass of lemonade and adding some fresh mint leaves to it can also work wonders. You can swap a couple of glasses of your daily water for this refreshing drink that’ll help you burn off that extra fat. Just make sure you use a natural sweetener like honey instead of regular sugar.
- Starting your day with a glass of warm water and lemon juice has been found to be extremely effective when it comes to detoxifying the body as well as helping boost weight loss. Adding a few sprigs of mint leaves to this glass can give it that extra punch of power and can help you take your weight loss game to the next level.
- Craving for something that you know is unhealthy? Simply sniffing on some mint leaves and inhaling its minty aroma can suppress the craving effectively.
- Need a stronger, more effective solution to your between the meals hunger cravings? Keep a pack of sugar-free mints with you always and pop one when you feel a hunger pang coming in. The minty taste will suppress the hunger feeling super effectively. Alternatively, if you’re at home, you can just brush your teeth with a toothpaste that has mint extracts, and it should help a lot!
Other Benefits of Mint
Apart from the numerous ways mint benefits weight loss, it also has the added potential of working wonderfully in improving other aspects of your health too. Some of the best health benefits of mint include the following.
- Mint essential oil in particular, pack in some powerful antioxidant properties. These antioxidants in turn, help protect the body against the harmful effects of free radicals, and also offer guard against certain forms of cancer.
- Mint, in general, also has powerful antimicrobial and antiviral action, which helps protect the body against several forms of infection.
- Its antispasmodic action makes it an excellent natural remedy for those suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.
- Its pain relieving and anti-inflammatory action can also help reduce stomach pain and other symptoms associated with digestive problems.
- Some studies have also shown it to be effective in improving exercise performance.
- Consumption of mint tea has been found to improve bile flow, induce muscle relaxation and also reduce bloating.
- In addition, it can also help improve alertness and treat nausea and headaches naturally.
- Its natural stimulant properties make it an amazing remedy for depression, fatigue and weakness. Some studies have also found it to be beneficial for patients with memory loss.
- Its antiseptic and antimicrobial actions don’t just benefit your inner body but your outer body too. It also holds amazing benefits for your outer body, particularly your skin.
- Mint essential oil, when diluted and used, can act as a wonderful skin purifier and cleanser. Its calming and soothing properties can also relieve itchiness and skin infections.
- Mint also contains powerful antibacterial action, which makes it an excellent remedy for acne, even the most stubborn forms of it. Not only does it fight the acne-causing bacteria but also soothes and calms down the inflammation on the skin, reducing the occurrence of acne and preventing it too.
- Some experts believe that its extracts can be helpful for patients suffering from nicotine addiction, and can help them get over it faster and better.
- While there are no actual studies carried out to confirm the fact, it is also believed that mint extracts can also prove helpful in dealing with both male and female sterility.
All in all, it has been found that mint benefits weight loss in more ways than one, and offers several other additional benefits associated with its consumption. Find more ways to sneak it in your everyday meals, or best of all, start your day with it, and you’ll be feeling more energetic, active and healthy all day long!