Tired of the constant scratchiness and irritation on your head? Looking for a one stop solution to your head lice problems? You’ve come to the right place! If you’ve landed here, it means you probably heard about tea tree oil for head lice prevention, and that’s great, because that is EXACTLY what you need.
Here we bring you over 10 reasons why you should be using tea tree oil for lice, and some quick tips and tricks to use it and experience the benefits yourself! Read on…
Reasons to Use Tea Tree Oil for Head Lice Prevention
Tea tree oil, also known as Melaleuca oil, is a natural essential oil packed with powerful antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Its insecticidal action is what makes it an excellent natural remedy for head lice and other similar problems.
Here are the top 5 reasons why you should definitely consider using tea tree oil as a home remedy for head lice.
- Tea tree oil is a natural antiviral, antifungal, insecticidal, antibacterial and antiseptic agent.
- Unlike other chemical shampoos and head lice treatments, tea tree oil is safe for use for almost all skin types. Its natural composition guarantees that its use does not cause any side effects in both- short term and long term use.
- Tea tree oil, when used correctly, coats the head and the scalp, and kills the head lice and destroys its eggs speedily.
- This essential oil is also blessed with natural soothing properties, which calm down the inflamed and irritated skin of the scalp.
- Tea tree oil further nourishes the scalp and the hair, and improves its health. Its application also reduces the risk of bacterial and fungal infections of the scalp.
Studies conducted by Mayo Clinic have revealed that using tea tree oil along with certain other products can undoubtedly work as a natural remedy for head lice. A study conducted by Langone Medical Center has found that tea tree oil, when combined with lavender oil, can treat head lice effectively.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Head Lice
Now that you know tea tree oil doesn’t merely kill head lice but also prevents them from popping up again, it’s time to understand how to use it to your benefit. There are several ways to use tea tree oil for lice. Try any of these approaches that you feel comfortable with- sit back, relax, and wait for it to work!
- A combination of tea tree oil and olive oil makes for one of the best home remedies for hair lice. Both these oils pack in powerful insecticidal properties that kill all existing lice and prevent the growth of new ones. Simply mix olive oil with tea tree oil in 1:3 proportion and apply it to your scalp and hair length. Let it stay overnight or for a couple of hours before washing it off with a natural shampoo. Do this every couple of days for a week to see the results!
- Using a mixture of tea tree oil and lavender oil (or eucalyptus oil) in equal proportions and then diluting it and applying to the scalp can also be effective in soothing the inflamed skin of the scalp, and ridding it of hair lice as quickly as in 2 weeks. You can also pour this solution into your shampoo and use it everyday without the risk of any damage to your hair or scalp.
- Using a simple tea tree oil spray 3-5 times throughout the day can also reduce the population of hair lice fast. Just mix a few drops of tea tree oil with water, pour it into a spray bottle, and spritz it onto your scalp after every 5-7 hours. A quick bonus- this hair spray will leave your scalp feeling fresh and fragrant- one of the best reasons to use tea tree oil for lice.
- You could also try doing a simple hot oil massage with a mix of lavender, tea tree oil and coconut oil a couple of times a week to notice a huge difference in your hair lice problem.
- In addition to using tea tree oil, you could also practise some simple strategies to tackle the head lice problem better. Change all your sheets, pillow covers, cushion covers, combs and other such products and items. Avoid sharing them with your family members.
- Keep your head tied up and shampoo less often. It is a good idea to keep your head wrapped in a scarf or have them up in a high ponytail.
Implementing these simple tips and tricks will bring about a HUGE difference in your condition, and you should expect relief from head lice in just a couple of weeks- all naturally!
Did any of these tricks work for you? Do let us know in the comments box below.