15 Jul 10 Best Essential Oils for Hives
Choosing the Best Essential Oils for Hives
Hives aren’t just an uncomfortable skin condition- when they itch, they itch like crazy. While you can always stick to using commercially available skin creams and lotions to soothe the area, why not go natural and use essential oils for hives?
Keep reading to discover 10 of the best essential oils you can use to tackle it, and a few tips and tricks to use them in the best and safest way possible! Read on…
Lavender oil is well known for its soothing and relaxing properties, and has been in use for sleep and anxiety disorders. But most people don’t know that this very oil can actually turn out to be pretty useful when it comes to treating certain skin disorders as well, especially hives. Lavender oil, thanks to its antispasmodic and antiseptic properties, can help protect the skin from microbes and other irritants that can cause skin allergies and hives, and stimulate its healing.
Chamomile oil is another soothing oil that works wonders in treating skin irritations and infections naturally. It also has anti-allergenic and anti-spasmodic action which makes it an excellent remedy for skin conditions such as eczema, hives and psoriasis among others.
Peppermint oil is one of the best essential oils for hives. It packs in cooling properties and can help calm down skin irritation, inflammation, redness and itching- all of which are common symptoms associated with hives. Applying this oil in the diluted form can help offer instant relief from itchiness and redness of the skin.
Myrrh is an ancient and holy essential oil and has been well known for its powerful healing properties. It packs in anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and fungicidal properties which are helpful in naturally treating hives and many other types of skin infections and conditions. This oil in particular has been found to be extremely helpful in dealing with allergic reactions.
Lemon oil has been well known as a revitalizing and energizing oil, but it turns out, it has the potential to become of the best essential oils for hives. This is because this oil has antiseptic properties, and can work as an excellent natural remedy for hives, especially hives that gets triggered due to insect bites. Its antioxidant properties also help repair and nourish the skin, and can help soothe irritation and inflammation of the skin.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has many applications when it comes to skincare, and has been in use to treat conditions like shingles, acne, hives etc. It also creates a sort of shield on the skin which can help a lot when scratching due to itching gets intense. Infact, it can also help protect the skin from sunburns and blemishes and lighten scars.
Helichrysum oil is one of the most powerful essential oils for hives, all thanks to its anti-allergenic properties. Infact, it can also be used in combination with a base oil and massaged topically for near instant relief from hives and other skin allergies. Its composition helps calm down inflamed skin, heal rashes and clear up blemishes.
Coconut oil is probably the most versatile oils there is- and has been in use for everything from hair conditioning to skin moisturizing, and it turns out, it can also be a wonderful natural remedy for hives thanks to its antimicrobial action. Infact a study has also revealed how coconut oil can help alleviate inflammation and provide relief to the skin affected by hives, even with topical application.
Geranium oil has astringent properties, which can help reduce wrinkles, tighten skin and make it more glowing and healthy, but apart from that, it also acts as an excellent healing agent. From fading dark scars and spots to repairing damaged tissue, it does a lot. Infact, some natural living enthusiasts also bet by the ability of this essential oil to heal surgical wounds and scars.
Some studies have found that rose oil exhibits probably the most strongest bactericidal activity as opposed to other essential oils, which makes it an amazing natural remedy for acne and other bacterial skin infections. In addition, it can also help improve the permeability of the skin, and make it healthier, thereby more likely to fight hives and other skin conditions.
Cedarwood oil is another great essential oil for hives. It can help curb inflammation in particular, which makes it a great remedy for eczema too. When used the right way, it can help reduce skin peeling and treat fungal infections of the skin too.
Tips and Tricks to Use Essential Oils for Hives
When using essential oils for hives, make sure you keep these tips in mind. Not only will they make the entire process of using them easier, but also help you understand better how to use the oils at their best.
- Essential oils are usually available in the concentrated form, which is why, it is extremely important to diluting them first with a good carrier oil and then use them, especially if you plan to apply them topically.
- If you’re using a certain essential oil for the first time, make sure you have your doctor’s yes before you do. Also do a patch test to check and confirm if you are not sensitive to the oil.
- You could also try different essential oils and create a mixture of 2-3 different diluted essential oils to combine their power and reap the maximum benefits for your skin.
Other Natural Treatments for Hives
Apart from using essential oils for hives, you can also try and implement these natural remedies to speed up the process of healing.
- Sleep in cool room, since it tends to soothe the irritated and inflamed skin.
- Wear loose, breathable clothes throughout the day. Avoid wearing tight fitted clothing at all costs since it can further aggravate the condition.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel directly to the affected areas- it can soothe the skin instantly and reduce the redness and itchiness.
- Apply cocoa butter to the skin- it packs in polyphenols which can help reduce sensitivity of the skin and stimulate healing of rashes.
- Avoid dairy products and any other types of animal meats or products until your skin is completely healed.
- Avoid consuming processed and packaged food and stick to healthy and natural foods with minimum fat.
- Applying bentonite clay to the skin can also help reduce itching and inflammation and reduce the appearance and occurrence of rashes.
Hives are a common skin complaint, and can affect anyone- though there are certain factors which tend to trigger its occurrence, including the following.
- Insect bites or stings
- Certain medications
- Exposure to certain chemicals
- Citrus fruits
- Consuming certain foods such as shellfish and dairy products
- Exposure to sun
- Animal dander
- Illness and infections
Hives mostly appear as raised red or pink bumps on the skin, and cause swelling and itchiness, which usually vanishes after 24 hours. In certain aggravated cases, it may also cause stinging and burning, and medical attention becomes necessary.
However, using the correct natural approaches or simply using essential oils for hives can help stimulate its healing and calm down the symptoms in as less as 24 hours. Need help getting your hands on any of these essential oils? Check out the quick links below!